OTE - Oregon Travel Experience

A 3D Viewing Device

Posted on: May 26th, 2015 in Historical Marker Details |

 

Oregon Caves National Monument Rangers

Gruber and Graves families cutting the ribbon with Oregon Historical Marker Committee Chair, George Forbes

The new Oregon Historical Marker

Born at the Oregon Caves National Monument
The story began at the Oregon Caves in 1938. After taking a tour, William B. Gruber, an Oregon inventor, met Harold J. Graves, the president of postcard company, Sawyer’s Inc.
Double Visionaries — Graves and Gruber
Graves asked Gruber about the device he carried consisting …

Read More

Jedediah Smith

Posted on: February 18th, 2015 in Historical Marker Details |

 
Jedediah Smith
(1799-1831)
Jedediah Smith’s explorations in the American West began when he was 21 and lasted until his death at age 32. He crisscrossed the region in search of beaver pelts and new travel routes. His travel journals became a foundation for the first accurate maps of what is now the western United States.
A Life of Exploration
After three years in the Rocky Mountains, Jedediah Smith led trapping expeditions to California in …

Read More

Abigail Scott Duniway

Posted on: December 6th, 2012 in Historical Marker Details |

Abigail Scott Duniway
(1834-1915)
In 1860, Abigail Jane Scott Duniway and six other women shocked the town of Lafayette by attending a campaign speech by Col. Edward D. Baker, a U.S. Senate candidate. At that time, most people considered it inappropriate for women to take part in any aspect of political life. Age twenty-six at the time, Duniway’s leadership in the act was the first of countless actions for Oregon’s pioneer of woman suffrage.
Startting …

Read More

Philomath

Posted on: August 21st, 2012 in Historical Marker Details |

Philomath College Building
Philomath College was chartered November 1865, as the United Brethren School for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and California.  The name combines two Greek words meaning love of learning.  The building’s center structure was completed in September 1867, of bricks made from clay extruded near the building.  The center structure is 40 X 60 feet in 2-feet-thick walls.  The west wing was completed in 1905; the east wing in …

Read More

Central Coast Region

Posted on: October 26th, 2011 in Historical Marker Details |

This marker was made possible by the City of Yachats
Marker Text:
Welcome To the Oregon Coast
The rugged shore of the Central and Northern Oregon Coast is backed by the Coast Range Mountains, remnants of a chain of volcanic islands that collided with the North American continent some 50 million years ago. The Oregon Coast is notable for its basalt headlands, such as Cape Foulweather and Cape Perpetua, and for a succession of …

Read More

Yaquina Bay

Posted on: September 26th, 2011 in Historical Marker Audio Tours, Historical Marker Details |

The old Yaquina Bay Lighthouse established in 1871 is the earliest aid to navigation standing within the range of the first recorded landfall made from a ship to the shores of the Pacific Northwest. Captain James Cook made this landfall on March 7, 1778. At noon he named Cape Foulweather. On account of the heavy weather he was compelled to stand out at sea at night and only approach the …

Read More

Williamson River

Posted on: September 26th, 2011 in Historical Marker Details |

Subject:Camp site for the Pacific Railroad survey party in 1855.
A Pacific Railroad Survey party searching for a practicable route for a railroad to connect the Sacramento Valley with the Columbia River passed near this point bound north on August 20, 1855. Lieutenant R.S. Williamson headed the party with 2nd Lieutenant Henry I. Abbot second in command. Among the officers in the Army escort were Lieutenant Phil S. Sheridan and Lieutenant …

Read More

Willamette Stone

Posted on: September 26th, 2011 in Historical Marker Audio Tours, Historical Marker Details |

Subject:Site of first surveyor’s base mark in Pacific Northwest.
This short trail leads to the Willamette Stone, the surveyor’s monument that is the point of origin for all public land surveys in Oregon and Washington. The landmark was established on June 4, 1851 by John B. Preston, Oregon’s first Surveyor General.
With increasing settlement and passage of the Donation Land Claim Act, the Oregon Territory desperately needed to extend the Public Land …

Read More

Willamette Post

Posted on: September 26th, 2011 in Historical Marker Details |

Subject:The first trading post in the Willamette Valley in 1811.
The first trading post in the Willamette Valley was located on the Prairie Knoll just east of this point. The post was established in 1811 by the Astor Company to trade for furs and to take game which was cured and sent by canoe to Fort Astoria at the mouth of the Columbia. Subsequently operated by the North West Company for …

Read More

Willamette Falls Locks

Posted on: September 26th, 2011 in Historical Marker Audio Tours, Historical Marker Details |

Subject:Series of five locks with a total lift of 50.2 feet opened in 1873.
Willamette Falls Locks- still in use below this point-were opened on New Years Day, 1873, when the steamer Maria Wilkins became the first vessel to navigate up the west end of Willamette Falls. Farming and shipping interests had long sought to eliminate expensive portages around this age-old bar to navigation 26 miles above the mouth of the …

Read More

Our central office in Salem is currently closed until further notice. You can call us at 503-378-4508 with requests and inquiries.Find out more →
+