Posted on: August 21st, 2012 in Historical Marker Details |
Philomath College Building
Philomath College was chartered November 1865, as the United Brethren School for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and California. The name combines two Greek words meaning love of learning. The building’s center structure was completed in September 1867, of bricks made from clay extruded near the building. The center structure is 40 X 60 feet in 2-feet-thick walls. The west wing was completed in 1905; the east wing in 1907. The coeducational college offered a classical curriculum which reflected pioneer dedication to education. After 62 years and more than 6,000 students, Philomath College closed in June 1929. Named for the college, the City of Philomath grew up about the campus. Philomath College building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior December 1972.
The building is the current home of the Benton County Historical Society & Museum.