OTE - Oregon Travel Experience

Interstate Sign Rates and FAQ

Image of Oregon Travel Experience Highway Business SignIf you would like to skip the “rates and FAQs” section and proceed to the application process, please refer to the “technical resources” section at the bottom of this page. You will need the free Adobe Reader application. (A link is provided to the Adobe Reader site as well.)


Oregon Travel Information Council sign fees are determined by highway location and traffic density (how many vehicles pass specific mile-marker locations).

Our fee schedules categorize permits by sign type and location. If unclear about the cost after reviewing the files, please contact us (by email) or telephone 503-373-0086, and we will be happy to give you an estimate. Please review the two fee schedules below.

Sign permit glossary

Mainline sign: The first or primary sign a business has in any given direction of travel is known as the mainline sign. This blue sign precedes the exit ramps on the freeway. They include a service designation (e.g. gas, food, lodging, camping, or attraction), next exit or a specific exit number, and a business logo plaque. On the billing invoice, these signs are referred to as “mainline”.

Ramp sign: The secondary sign a business may have in any given direction of travel is known as the ramp sign. If a business is not visible from the freeway exit ramp, they may require a ramp sign. This blue sign typically includes a directional arrow, a service designation (e.g. gas, food, lodging, camping or attraction) and a business logo plaque. When necessary, mileage is also indicated below the plaque. These signs are located on or following the off-ramp. On the billing invoice, these signs are referred to as “ramp”.

The placement of mainline and ramp signs is determined by an engineering study of the Interstate.

Where navigation is difficult, multiple ramp signs may be necessary.

If more than one business requests a sign at the same exit, multiple plaques may be installed on the same logo or supplemental signs.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are they?

Interstate Logo signs consist of a blue sign panel with individual business logo plaques mounted on the panel.  Interstate Logo signs have white legends for 5 different types of services: Gas, Food, Lodging, Camping, and Attraction.

There are two types of Interstate Logo signs: Mainline and Ramp. The Mainline signs are located in advance of the exit on the shoulder of the interstate or expressway. Ramp signs are located on the shoulders of the off-ramps and have arrows and mileage indicators pointing toward the business.

Interstate Logo signs are seen as alternatives to billboard advertising by many businesses, but in fact they are classified as traffic control devices and must meet regulations set by the Federal Highway Administration and Oregon State sign standards. If the Travel Information Council (TIC) doesn’t follow the Federal and State sign regulations, the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) could lose a percentage of its Federal funding.

How long does it take to get Logo signs?

It all depends. In addition to TIC’s criteria and roadway review process, new sign installations require an ODOT engineering reivew. Our goal is to turnaround sign applications within 5 days. ODOT is allowed 30 days on the reviews after they are forwarded to them. Once approved, the timetable adjusts based on the customer’s response time to our permit and plaque manufacturing specifications. Timely receipt of the logo plaques from the customer’s plaque manufacturer also impacts the installation date.

What does it cost to have Interstate Logo signs?

Annual permit fees are based on the average daily traffic count at the location of each Mainline sign. See the For-Profit Interstate Logo rates page for more information. Non-Profit and Government Entities are assessed annual permit fees at a reduced percentage of the For-Profit rate. See the Non-Profit Interstate Logo rates page for more information.

How many Logo signs are allowed per exit or interchange and how many logo plaques can be placed on those signs?

A maximum of 4 Mainline Logo signs may be allowed per exit or interchange, per direction. The largest Mainline Logo sign can hold a maximum of nine logo plaques and the largest Ramp sign can hold a maximum of eight logo plaques. The same Legend, ie. Gas, Food, Lodging, Camping or Attraction, may not be displayed on more than two signs per exit or interchange, per direction. Where more than nine businesses of a specific Legend are eligible for Logo plaques at the same exit or interchange, additional Logo signs of that same Legend may be displayed either by placing more than one Legend on the same sign or by using a second sign of that same Legend (if the additional sign can be added without exceeding the limit of four total signs at an exit or interchange, per direction). No more than 12 Logo plaques per Legend may be displayed at the same exit or interchange, per direction.

If there is no Logo sign at the requested interchange, can one be installed?

A Logo sign may be installed at an interchange as long as it meets highway sign spacing requirements. Federal regulations stipulate a need for 800 feet distance between Mainline Logo signs.

Like all state agencies, TIC follows a biennial budget process. Due to the magnitude of new Logo sign construction requests, TIC must prioritize those requests based on available funding and a first come first serve basis.

No Logo signs are allowed at interchanges leading motorists to another freeway or expressway.

No Logo signs are allowed at interchanges where a motorist cannot conveniently exit and then re-enter the interstate and continue traveling in the same direction.

How many logo plaques can a facility have per direction?

Businesses are limited to one Mainline plaque per direction. For instance, a facility cannot have Mainline Logo plaques on I-5, Exit 14 Northbound and I-5, Exit 19 Northbound.  Logo signs are to be placed at the interchange that is in the closest proximity to the facility itself.

How far away from the interchange can a facility be located and still qualify?

A business must be located within 3 miles of the interchange but they may apply for a distance waiver up to 15 miles.

How can motorists find my facility if it is not visible from the exit ramp?

Ramp signs with mileage indicators are placed on exit ramps and are smaller versions of the Mainline Logo signs. Ramp signs are required when the facility is not visible. They also have an arrow and mileage indicators pointing the direction to the facility.

How are logo plaques made?

Logo plaques are furnished by the customer after the application process has been completed. Once the application is approved, permits, plaque manufacturing specifications and a list of approved sign manufacturers are sent to the customer. After a sign sketch is approved by both the customer and TIC, the sign manufacturer then sends the finished Logo plaques to a specified sign crew which performs the installations.

What does it cost to have a logo plaque made?

Logo plaque manufacturing costs are strictly between the facility and their sign manufacturer. Customers are encouraged to shop for estimates based on different grades of reflective materials. TIC provides a reference list of those companies who are experienced and have asked to be referred. Any sign company is welcome into this program as long as they are willing to utilize reflective materials and meet the plaque manufacturing specifications required by the State of Oregon. TIC recommends that customers ask their sign company for a five-year warranty in case of premature deterioration or loss of reflectivity.

How much advertising can be put on a logo plaque?

None. Only the facility’s Registered Business Name, or a portion of that name, is allowed by Federal and State standards.

What are Supplemental Messages?

Supplemental Messages are approved word messages displayed horizontally along the bottom of the Mainline and Ramp logo plaques presenting essential motorist information. Supplemental messages must be reflective, displayed in a color to contrast effectively with the background of the Logo Plaque or be separated by a divider bar. Seasonal messages may also be displayed as a Supplemental Message.


Can a Food facility located within a Gas facility qualify for Food signing?

The Food facility located within the Gas facility qualifies for Food signing if they have indoor seating for at least 20 people. If seating is not available, the Gas facility may display the Food facility on their Gas logo plaque. Fees for Gas facilities that include a Food facility on their logo plaque are 1 1/3 fee for a regular Gas logo charged in that area. This is called a Double Logo.

Can a Food facility have two distinct brands on their logo plaque?

Yes. Food Businesses that have two distinct brand names in one building may display the brand of both food businesses on one dual Logo plaque. Fees for Food facilities with two brands on their logo plaques are 1 1/3 fee for a regular Food logo charged in that area. This is called a Double Logo.

What if the logo plaque gets damaged or the design needs changing?

If TIC finds that the logo plaque is deteriorating and is losing its reflectivity, the facility will be required to provide a replacement. If replacements of logo plaques occur at the customer’s request due to a desire to change the color, design or name on the plaque, a fee of $125.00 per Mainline plaque and $75.00 per ramp plaque will be charged to cover the costs of removing the old plaques and installing the new plaques.

Can someone purchase a facility holding logo space and retain the existing place on the Logo sign?

If the change of ownership DOES NOT RESULT in a name change, the new owners may retain the existing space. When a change of ownership RESULTS IN A NAME CHANGE to the logo plaque for a currently signed facility, the Logo space is revoked and is offered to the next facility on the Wait List. This policy was set by a group of business people who recommended that TIC adopt the policy statewide. If there is no Wait List, the new owner is required to repeat the application process in order to retain the space on the Logo sign.

Can private clubs have logo signs?

No. Only facilities open to the general public are allowed signing.

How does a facility qualify for Attraction Logo signs?

An Attraction is a business of regional significance that provides the general public with an agricultural, cultural, historical, or recreational activity. To further define these categories:

Agricultural means an activity or business illustrating local and/or Oregon specialized livestock or agricultural products and processes, production and sale of freshly harvested produce, or cultivation and sale of seasonal agricultural products.

Can my business have ODOT’s Cultural and Historic Signs and TIC Logo signs?

No. If a Business qualifies as an ODOT Cultural and Historical Feature and receives Cultural and Historical signs from ODOT, it does not qualify for any Logo signs.

Can my business have Historical Attraction Logo signs and Gas, Food, Lodging, or Camping Logo signs?
No. If a Business qualifies for a Gas, Food, Lodging or Camping Logo sign, it does not also qualify for a Historical Attraction Logo sign on the Interstate, Freeway or Expressway.

Can my business have a Gas, Food, Lodging or Camping Logo sign on the Interstate, Freeway or Expressway and have Tourist Oriented Directional (TOD) or Museum signs on the conventional state highway?

No. If a Business qualifies for a Gas, Food, Lodging or Camping Logo Sign on the Interstate, Freeway, or Expressway, it does not qualify for a TOD or Museum sign on the conventional state highway.

Technical resources, sign applications, and additional info

Gas, Food, Lodging, Camping Interstate Logo Sign Application: You may download a printable TIC Interstate Logo Application(PDF format) or an electronic Fillable TIC Interstate Logo Application (PDF format) for the legend category gas, food, lodging, and camping and return it to our offices via email or by US mail.

TIC Cover Letter for Gas, Food, Lodging and Camping legends: Download this informative and brief description of this sign category.  Read the letter in PDF format.

Attraction Interstate Logo Sign Application: Download a PDF copy of the application for the legend category “Attraction” and follow the protocol for returning to our offices as stated in the category above.

TIC Cover Letter for Attraction legend: Read the letter explaining this new separate Interstate Logo Attraction category in PDF format.

Tourist Oriented Directional Application (TOD): Download a PDF copy of the popular TOD sign.

TIC Cover Letter for TOD sign: Read the letter explaining the TOD in PDF format.

Museum and Historic Site Application: Download a PDF copy of the Museum and Historic Site sign permit application.

TIC Cover Letter for Museum and Historic Sites: Review the qualifying criteria for Museum and Historic Site signs in PDF format.

Not-for-Profit Status form: If you would like to provide proof of your not-for-profit status, please contact us for the correct form to include with your permit application.

Help with your application

For more help with the application process, please contact us at the phone number below. If you need the free Adobe Reader to download the form, please visit: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

If you have remaining questions about Interstate mainline signs or ramp signs, please contact Oregon Travel Information Council Sign Program staff or call 503-378-4508.